Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Writing...back at it!

Well, a year and a half of no posts, I was surprised to find this blog still accessible. I journal, pen/paper style, off and on, more of a prayer journal than anything else but haven't done any significant writing in years. I bought this book titled Q&A a Day for Writers back in Christmas 2016 and just now found it again while unpacking. It's a journal of sorts, 365 questions for creative exploration. Each day has a different writing prompt, question, etc and I've decided I will use this blog space as an electronic journal and to share this creative exploration adventure with all of you - my family, friends and anyone else who stumbles across this. I'm hoping that sharing it publicly will provide for some much needed accountability. I'd like to say I will post every day but being realistic, that probably won't happen - especially since it's January 2nd and I'm just now starting. ;) Well, here it goes...

Day 1 - In her essay "Fail Better," Zadie Smith says, "The very reason I write is so that I might not sleepwalk through my entire life." Why do you write? What does it do for you?

I guess the reason I write depends on the type of writing I'm doing. Most recently, I write as a form of  prayer. I write to document my prayers to God so that I'm able to look back and reflect on how God has fulfilled my prayers and His promises to me. It has become a faith-builder for me and a reminder of how much God loves and cares for me. I have dreams of writing a book, about what I have no idea.

Day 2 - Studies have shown that thousands of personality traits can be linked to handwriting. Use a handwriting sample to inspire a character sketch.

She writes in fluid cursive, seamlessly transitioning from one letter into the next without breaking the connection between pen and paper. The pen moves with poise, dignity and a sense or purpose. No ink bleeds or hesitations, she knows exactly what she's saying. It's almost as if the words can't come quick enough. The only breaks come with new words, crossing t's and dotting i's, and punctuation. Her letters are large, almost grandiose in form. Large, sweeping tails provide a sense of elegance, indicative of her status in the family. As the last serving grandparent, she leads the family through kindness and positivity. Technology escapes her, she much prefers the seemingly archaic pen and paper. In the world of instant communication through text, email and IM...she prefers to wait in anticipation for the mailman who delivers responses from her friends, though the responses are usually shorter and in a shaky, harsh scribble indicative of their age. Yet her handwriting is an art form, something that she has taken great pride in over the last 90 years

No comments:

Post a Comment