Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Checking Away the Checkbox

I survived the first week of my Spiritual Disciplines class and I managed to submit the weekly milestone paper about 6 hours before the Sunday midnight deadline. The two toughest parts of the week were trying to get back into the habit of consistent homework and writing a bibliography. I struggled a little finding at least four nights a week to read, comment on the online discussion threads and write the reflection papers, but the structure of an online course is pretty rigid that you comment a certain number of times throughout a week. Bibliographies are not my strong suit. I reference the works I'm quoting or pulling ideas from within the paper but putting the author, title, publisher, date, etc in the right order was always a bit of a challenge.

We are exploring the disciplines of solitude, silence and sabbath and how intertwined they are. It has been interesting, challenging and a little intimidating. I have a hard time being in silence and being in complete solitude with God. Even studying or writing this blog, I have the tv on, my phone dings to let me know I have a text and I can only stay focused for so long before I need a break...oh ya did I mention the cat that feels like she has to be in my lap as much as possible.

I'll take some time here soon to do some reflecting and sharing publicly  but for now, I've done my allotted reading and responding for the day so I'm off to watch  little tv and head to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment