Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer School-too chill?


Hype of summer school falls short.
I always heard summer school was more relaxed, less people around and more fun than a typical semester. With five people in my class, an hour and a half of class five days a week and maybe 30min of homework a day, summer session is definitely more relaxed. This relaxed atmosphere is a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of an internship, being an RA and a full load of classes last semester but I’m struggling to fill all the extra time.

No Internet and no cable at the apartment make filling that time even more difficult. So I’ve decided it will be even more motivation to workout and read novels (for fun)!

This weekend I read 250 pages of Sally Morgan’s My Place. The novel is an aboriginal’s autobiography of growing up in a predominately white Australia and discovering herself within the white confines of society. My interest in Aboriginal Australia is left over from my studies abroad. I never knew how similar the histories of Australia and the U.S. were until I studied Australian history. Once I finish this novel (hopefully by the end of today), I have a couple others with me but I have also been thinking about trying to work my way through the 2011 BBC Book Challenge list. We’ll see how that goes.

As for working out, I managed to jog to the REC on Sunday and spent about an hour and a half working out, doing a little bit of everything. I realized I really need to work on my upper body strength, seeing as I have none. I’m also going to work on endurance but all of this takes motivation and self-discipline, something I’m going to have to work on this summer too. I failed to make it to the gym on Monday but hopefully I can get back in the next day or two. I heard it takes 30 days to develop a routine. I can cross off one day.

The weather has also been less than encouraging in terms of working out. As the rain drizzles on for the second day, I’m less motivated to make the jog from the apartment uphill to the REC center, even though its only 0.5 miles.

I have, however, been more social than I expected. I have spent the last three evenings hanging out with friends and it has been good. I’ve hung out with friends I should’ve kept in better contact with and I’ve met some new friends along the way. Hopefully this trend continues.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I thought I was bored here with a 8am-5pm work schedule with nothing to do nights or weekends! You have it rough! What is this book challenge list thing? sounds interesting..
    I have also been doing some reading! I am reading Winter Dance now and it is quickly becoming my favorite book of all time. I dont know why I didn't look into reading more books on topics Im actually interested in until now. DUMB. haha. Miss you girl! Good luck with the workouts and readings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few excellent books recently that I think you would enjoy:

    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
    Hillenbrand, Laura

    Half Broke Horses
    Walls, Jeannette

    The Glass Castle
    Walls, Jeannette

    ---- Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Becky! I will definitely check them out. I forgot how hard it is to browse a university 'novel' section without having anything specific in mind. Plus, the novel section is in the back, upper corner of the old section of our library, one could easily get lost of days in it.

    ReplyDelete