Thursday, May 26, 2011

Social Media Mis-named

Is social media really social?
As a communications major, I recently studied how social media impacts journalism. I have to say that although I’m an avid Facebook visitor (if I’m on the computer, I’m logged in, but doing other things as well). I have a Twitter account but acknowledge I could be putting it to better use. I just created a HootSuit account and have begun to explore its possibilities. I have a personal blog (duh, you’re reading it!). But what does all this mean? 

Social media is now, it is the future but part of me, maybe my I-still-love-to hold- a-newspaper-and-talk-over-coffee side, questions the impacts of social media on society. Of course, there are plenty of benefits such as easy communication across distances, low price (usually free), ease of access (anywhere there’s Wifi or 4G) and it may decrease social anxiety. I wonder how all this new media, social technology and new technology affects the face-face abilities of our youth. There have been extensive studies on how texting while driving increases the likelihood of accidents, how violent video games are more likely to lead to violent children but where are the studies examining how Twitter, Facebook etc. keep people on the computer longer, outdoors less and face-face interaction to a minimum?  You can’t tell if someone’s joking or being sarcastic in a Twitter post, generally. Social media takes the emotion out of conversation. Is it all still too “new”? Is their any correlation? From my observations and personal experiences, I think there is.

I think it is the great challenge of today for people to evaluate their use of social media. Does it keep you from picking up a newspaper or checking out a novel from the local library (do you even know where you’re local library is, gems lie in wait to be rediscovered on the dusty shelves) Are you consumed by the computer screen, staying indoors rather than taking a walk or chatting with a next door neighbor over the fence?

My grandma still writes hand-written correspondence and only logs on to email to converse with her kids and grandkids (I don’t remember the last time I wrote a hand-written letter for the heck of it). I may be one of few who are hesitant about the continual and rapid development of social media but I feel it is a concern that needs to be addressed.

Some suggestions I'm putting to use to balance my social media life with my social life are:
1. Checking Facebook once in the morning and once in the evening. Not leaving it logged in for random chats and posts.
2. During daylight, limiting my time on social media sites, 10min every couple hours or some other reasonable ratio.
3. Calling friends to catch up rather than via Facebook chat

Where do you draw the line at being “connected” in social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment